Monday, June 28, 2010

think you need two sinks?

One of my favorite shows is House Hunters on HGTV. I was amazed that people could make a decision about spending the equivalent of a small city's budget after just looking at 3 houses until I found out that the show is edited. Gasp! Apparently they look at a lot of houses and just edit the show down to 3. Color me befuddled.

The show is a fascinating study in what people think is important and my daughter and I make bets on what house the buyer's will ultimately choose. If you watch carefully you get really good at it but sometimes there are surprises.

There are several consistent themes to this show that strike me. First. EVERYONE on this show entertains!! They are always commenting about how the kitchen is too small to entertain or the dining room is just the right size for entertaining or the deck / patio is a fantastic outdoor space to entertain. Do no introverts buy homes? I would love to see an agorophobic, introverted couple on the show who comment that the kitchen is tiny and there is no dining room and the backyard is microscopic but that is FINE because they never go out and have no friends. I just want some balance.

Second. what is it with the two sinks in the bathroom? "Oh, honey, the bathroom has a marble spa tub, the shower is the size of my parent's first house and the bedroom is 1200 square feet but there is only one sink in the master bathroom. Even though it is priced $50,000 below the assessed value I guess we will have to pass". Really?

Now I have been married for over 30 years and I can tell you that if I am in the bathroom using the sink, my husband / children can just wait. I don't need company in there. I don't want to watch you shaving anything or combing anything or washing anything. Maybe I am a wierdo but there are rules. Besides that, if you really need to get ready for work or whatever at the exact same moments that I am in the bathroom, use the other bathroom. Or wait. It'll be Ok, really.

Finally. is it just me or are people generally superficial? "I don't like the orange and green living room. I really prefer beige and purple". Someone painted it those ugly colors, you can cover it up with your ugly colors. After 25 years of home ownership, here is my advice to them. Don't look at the things that are easy to fix. Ask about the stuff that is going to cost you big $$. Here are some suggestions: how old is the furnace / air conditioner / water heater; how old are the windows; is the attic insulated; how old is the roof? These are things that matter but they probably arent good TV.

If you have never watched the show, I highly recommend it. It is fascinating to see what passes for affordable in different parts of the country and it is fun to see what some of the folks do with their newly purchased piece of the American Dream.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! Color ME befuddled because I never knew you were such a good writer...

    ReplyDelete